Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sample Day

So...what to write for my first post?

After 4 seconds of deliberation, I'm thinking a snapshot of a typical day in med school would be appropriate. For the record, I go to UCSF, a pretty fantastic institution in San Francisco. I love it here. The Pass/Fail system helps.

Today I woke up around 10:30 (oh God, first secret out of the bag), and staggered out of bed to check some e-mails and read some Rob Pattinson news. My online schedule mentioned something about lecture from 8 to noon, but I don't go to those. After attending lectures the first month of school, I came to appreciate the value of sleep. Since then, sleep has always trumped the opportunity to sit in a lecture hall and zone out for a few hours.

After the e-mails and Twitter updates, I took the Muni (SF's transit system) to Posh Bagel, my favorite food establishment in SF. Yes, you read that right. In a city known for its culinary delights (and a restaurant called French Laundry I just heard about today), I've given my heart to a bagel place. Can you understand now why I will never fit into California culture? I can't wait to go back to the East Coast. There, I said it. California, you suck. Sometimes. I like your weather, though.

I camped out at Posh Bagel for about 30 minutes, my maximum study time for the day. It's true, my attention span for studying things like cells and cancer and diseases is about 30 minutes. Under pressure, that number can change. But we don't have a test for another 10 days, so I'm coasting right now.

Feeling satisfied, I attended my sole mandatory class for the day, something called GAP lab. GAP = Gross and Pathology. Gross as in gross anatomy. As in gross. I abhor anatomy. I have the utmost respect for those people who donated their bodies for the benefit of future doctors, but whoa, I hate dead bodies. I could dedicate an entire post to this subject, but I'll save that for another day.

After the misery known as GAP lab, I went for a run with my running (ie. gossip) partner. We dished. I said too much. We agreed, for the thousandth time, that information shared on a run stays on a run. Have I mentioned that med school is just like high school, except worse?

After a 5-mile run through Golden Gate Park, I had to film something for our Class Play. The Class Play is 2 hours of random skits, performances, and drunken monologues about the funnier moments of med school. I'm the star of a skit called "The Med School Approach to Dating." If this hits youTube, my career is over.

I did that for a while, then had eggs for dinner, then came back here and watched the World Series with my roommate. She doesn't understand sports. In fact, she hates them and wants to write a book called "Sports and Why They Suck." She has it all planned out. But at least she's a Phillies fan. These are the kinds of things that matter, right?

And now I'm exhausted. Darts at the local bar later? Well sure, there's always time for darts.

No comments: