Thursday, November 12, 2009

Gossip Girls...and Guys...and the Fallout

There's a group on Facebook called, "Hey Med School, High School Wants Its Drama Back!" I ended up not joining this group because that sentiment is frighteningly true. Med school is exactly like high school, except everyone's over 21 (hello, booze!), people have all forgotten what second base is (if you don't score, then it doesn't count), and everyone knows way too much about everyone else. In some ways, that camaraderie is a very special thing. In other ways, your privacy just committed suicide. Forget about it. It vanished the second you put that stethoscope around your neck for the very first time.

I can feel a rant coming on, so I'll restrain myself. I should tell you that I try to avoid gossip; I really, truly do. Rumors are dangerous, shallow, and usually false. But people flock to those juicy tidbits about other people's lives. There is an obsession with covert knowledge, with being privy to something that really doesn't concern you at all. I know this because it's happened to me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. But sooner or later, you hear a rumor about yourself, and the fun is gone.

I usually don't mind rumors/gossip/talk about my life, maybe because I don't care, or maybe because I tend to shake things off within a day or two. But I'm human, too. I get hurt. Doesn't everyone, at some time or another?

I didn't want to come on here and preach about gossip, as I'm certainly not one to talk. I'm surrounded by the same 150 people every single day, and some things reach my ears and leave my mouth. I'll admit that. But the next time you feel tempted to spread some juicy info about someone else, ask yourself this:

Who cares?

No comments: